If you own a business in North Carolina, your building may require fire suppression equipment. If so, the State of North Carolina Fire Code requires you to inspect, maintain and test your fire suppression equipment according to a certain schedule.
You don’t have time to become a fire codes expert, but you should be aware of the codes most pertinent to you. If you discover you fall short in one area or another, count on Protection System Technologies, Inc. to bring your company back up to code.
INSPECTING FIRE SUPPRESSION SYSTEMS
An inspection is a “quick check” that the fire suppression system is installed properly and functioning. It’s when an inspector looks for signs of tampering or physical damage that could prevent function. Here are some of the most important fire suppression inspection codes
- Fire department connections must be inspected quarterly.
- Fire doors and dampers must be inspected annually.
- Portable fire extinguishers must be inspected and service tagged annually.
- Vent hood suppression systems in commercial kitchens must be inspected every six months and again after the system activates in a fire.
MAINTAINING FIRE SUPPRESSION SYSTEMS
Maintenance is a thorough examination to determine if any repairs or replacements are necessary. The maintenance schedule for fire suppression systems includes the following:
- Fire dampers must be maintained every four years.
- All types of portable fire extinguishers must be maintained annually.
TESTING FIRE SUPPRESSION SYSTEMS
On-site testing proves without a doubt that the fire suppression system is functional. Rules regarding testing include the following:
- Smoke control systems must be tested every five years.
- Automatic fans and dampers must be tested annually.
- Fire department connections must be tested every five years.
- Fire doors and dampers must be tested annually.
- Fixed wet and dry chemical extinguishing systems must be tested every six months.
- Water mist and carbon dioxide extinguishing systems must be tested annually.
- Halon 1301 and Clean Agent extinguishing systems must be tested every six months.
All records of inspection, maintenance and testing must remain on file for at least three years.
Protection System Technologies, Inc. is licensed to perform inspections, maintenance and testing on fire suppressions systems. Contact us if you need help complying with these fire suppression codes.